The future of work and skills
The world your students are entering when they leave school will be technologically more advanced than it is even now. We need to prepare our students for unknown eventualities, for the future of work and the skills they will need.
As an example, here’s a list of hypothetical AI enhanced workplaces.
- Healthcare: AI could be used to analyze patient data, identify health risks, and provide personalized treatment plans. Robotic assistants could also be used to help with patient care and support healthcare workers.
- Education: AI could be used to personalize learning experiences for students and provide teachers with real-time feedback on student progress. Robots could also be used to support teachers in the classroom.
- Manufacturing: AI could be used to optimize production processes, reduce waste, and improve quality control. Robots and autonomous vehicles could be used to perform dangerous or repetitive tasks.
- Retail: AI could be used to analyze customer data and provide personalized recommendations. Robots could also be used for inventory management and restocking.
- Finance: AI could be used to analyze financial data and make investment recommendations. Chatbots could also be used to provide customer service and support.
- Transportation: AI could be used to optimize logistics and route planning for transportation companies. Autonomous vehicles and drones could also be used to deliver goods and services.
- Entertainment: AI could be used to personalize content recommendations for viewers and provide real-time feedback on user engagement. Robots could also be used for entertainment and theme park attractions.
- Agriculture: AI could be used to optimize crop yields and reduce waste. Drones and robots could also be used for crop monitoring and harvesting.
- Construction: AI could be used to optimize construction processes, reduce waste, and improve safety. Robots could also be used for heavy lifting and other dangerous tasks.
- Government: AI could be used to optimize government processes and improve citizen services. Chatbots and virtual assistants could be used to provide citizens with information and support.
Consider what the work and skills of the future might be.
Consider what could be done now to prepare for that imagined future.
Plans should include at least 1 activity
|Activity||Introduction to AI:|
|Methods||Start by providing a basic understanding of AI and how it works. This can be done through videos, interactive tools, and real-world examples that showcase AI’s impact on various industries.|
|Link to AI@School Curriculum||The main terms and technologies used in AI|
|Methods||In this exercise, students are asked to assess the potential impact of AI on a hypothetical workplace.Introduce the hypothetical workplace to the students, explaining its goals, structure, and operations. Use one from the list above or have them suggest their own.Explain how AI could be implemented in the workplace, highlighting its potential benefits and drawbacks.Divide the class into small groups and assign each group a specific area of the workplace to focus on, such as customer service, employee recruitment, or data analysis.Ask each group to assess the potential impact of AI in their assigned area of the workplace. Encourage them to consider the potential ethical and societal implications of AI implementation, such as job displacement, privacy concerns, and bias in decision-making. Students should identify skills which the worker may need to use on a daily basis.After the group discussion, ask each group to present their findings to the class, highlighting the potential benefits and drawbacks of AI implementation in their area of the workplace and the ethical and societal implications of its use as well as the identified skills.As a class, discuss the different situations presented, and consider the overall impact of AI on the workplace. Encourage students to think critically about the ethical and societal implications of AI and its impact on the workplace. Produce a combined list of the skills required to work in this situation.Consider ways in which the students could acquire these skills.|
|Link to AI@School Curriculum||Skills in an AI-enabled workplace (AI in careers, impact on the future)|
Other ideas include:
- Career exploration: Encourage students to explore careers that involve AI, such as data analysis, software development, and robotics. This will help them understand the skills needed for these jobs and how they can prepare for future careers.
- AI projects: Assign projects that require students to work with AI tools and technologies. For example, students can develop chatbots or create image recognition systems. This will help them develop practical skills and gain hands-on experience with AI.
- Critical thinking exercises: Provide critical thinking exercises that challenge students to consider the ethical and societal implications of AI. This will help them understand the importance of responsible AI development and deployment.
- Collaboration and teamwork: Encourage students to work in teams on AI projects. This will help them develop collaboration and teamwork skills, which are essential in an AI-enabled workplace.
- Communication and presentation skills: Assign AI projects that require students to communicate their ideas and present their work. This will help them develop communication and presentation skills, which are important for success in any workplace.
- Online courses and resources: Provide access to online courses and resources that focus on AI and related topics. This will help students develop their skills and stay up-to-date with the latest developments in AI.
- Competitions and hackathons: Encourage students to participate in AI-related competitions and hackathons. This will help them apply their skills in real-world scenarios and gain recognition for their work.